Helmine Myburgh’s Malva Pudding
For the batter:
20 ml butter
250 ml caster sugar
12,5 ml fine apricot jam
5 ml baking soda
125 ml milk
5 ml brown vinegar
250 ml cake flour, sifted
a pinch of salt
For the sauce:
250 ml cream
180 ml sugar – ek gebruik net 120ml sugar… anderste te soet vir my 😊
125 g butter
125 ml boiling water
5 ml vanilla essence
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a deep medium-sized ovenproof dish.
2. With electric beaters, cream butter with caster sugar. Add eggs one by one, and mix well after after each addition.
3. Add apricot jam and mix well.
4. Stir baking soda into the milk, then add the vinegar to the milk.
5. Now add the milk/baking soda/vinegar mixture alternately with the sifted flour and salt to the butter/sugar mixture, mixing well between each addition.
6. Pour batter into greased baking dish, and bake for 45 minutes in the pre-heated oven or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. The pudding becomes dark on top very easily, so keep an eye on it while baking, and cover it with foil for the last 15 minutes, if necessary.
1. While the pudding is baking, mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan on the stovetop. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Cover with a lid to keep warm.
2. When pudding is done, remove from oven, then pour over all of the sauce.
3. Leave to stand for at least 15-30 minutes before serving.
**Serve with vanilla ice cream, custard, whipped cream